Footloose – Quotes
Compiled by Stacey Tuttle
- He is testing us. Our Lord is testing us. Especially when we are consumed with why. – Rev. Shaw Moore
- One day our kids will no longer be in our embrace. They will belong to the world – a world filled with evil… but for now, they are ours to protect. – Rev. Shaw Moore
- In this economy, that’s the best we got. You best learn to love it. – Uncle Wes to Ren about his new job
- I’ve yet to meet an ATM machine that would give me a piece of bazooka chewing gum, let alone make me feel special. … technology allows people to tune out, but people should tune in to each other instead. – Rev. Shaw Moore about the effect of technology on relationships (in comparison to a banker that used to hand out gum and made people feel special)
- Chuck: I’m a man. You’re my rebel child.
Ariel: I’m not a child.
Chuck: Prove it.
Ariel: Shut the door. (she begins to remove her blouse)
- The three R’s: Reading, Riting and Redneckery – Ren
- I can’t even wear a bandana in class for fear I might be in a gang. How am I supposed to wipe the sweat off my face? This country was built on bandanas! – Willard
- Sunday is God’s day. If you wanna drink beer on God’s day you gotta buy in on Beer’s day—and that’s Saturday. – Uncle Wes
- Stop trying to act like you know me. Stop trying to act like you know my mother. You didn’t know s***. – Ren
- You wanna drop down and tumble right here? Ok. But you know sometime that sweat’s gonna dry and you’re gonna feel like s***. That’s for Chuck. Not me. – Ren to Ariel
- Ren: The Law – it’s meant to be challenged. It’s not written in stone.
Willard: The 10 commandments were.
- Aunt Lulu: Why is this dance so important?
Ren: All that hard work [to save my mom] and I couldn’t do anything. But with this, maybe I can do something, for myself this time. … Otherwise I’m just gonna disappear like everyone else.
- Maybe he’s a bad influence on your daughter. Or maybe it’s the other way around. – Uncle Wes to Rev. Moore
- Listen to me you corn fed tick. – Willard or Ariel??
- Ariel: I’m so sick of you treating me like dirt.
Chuck: Treating you like a hussie we screw on weekends? Because that’s what I thought you wanted.
- Bobby spent his whole life trying to make you proud. …There was one mistake… Now all everyone remembers about him is that once accident. – Ariel to her Dad, Rev. Moore
- I have been SO lost. I have been losing it and you don’t even care. – Ariel to her Dad, Rev. Moore
- You gonna pass another law? Because that sure didn’t keep him outta my panties. – Ariel to her Dad, Rev. Moore
- Let’s go get that guy who blackened my eye, because we don’t do that, do we daddy. – Ariel to her Dad, Rev. Moore after he got mad and hit her face
- You were trying to hold this town together and protect our children. – Mrs. Vi Moore
- Dancing can be destructive. – Rev. Shaw Moore
- That is the job of a parent – to worry. I get that. But ours, as teenagers, is to [have fun and act stupid.] – Ren
He then quotes from Psalms “Dance before the Lord.” He mentions David dancing before the Lord and quotes from Ecclesiastes “there is a time for every purpose under heaven…a time to dance…”
That’s all we’re doing here. – Ren
- Death is on its own clock. – Ren
- I’ve insisted on taking responsibility for your lives, but I’m really just like a first time parent who makes mistakes as he goes along. …Do I hold on or do I trust you to yourselves? Do I let go and trust you to have learned the lessons I’ve taught you? How do I teach you trustworthiness if I don’t trust you? – Rev. Shaw Moore
- I k now it’s been hard on you and I know I haven’t made it any easier. I just don’t want you to be disappointed in me anymore. – Ariel
- I think you’re sexier than socks on a rooster. – Rusty